There are many things in my life that I have been very sure of. I think God has blessed me with the gift of certainty. (And trust me, I am everso thankful for it!) I knew from a young age that I would be a teacher. And, I knew for almost as long that I wanted to go to Baylor. Actually, it's the only university to which I applied. (Fortunately for me, I also was accepted!) I come from a long line of Baylor women. That fact alone is exciting to me because my predecessors were able to further their education in a time where not all women were expected to attend college. I can say with full transparency that my experience there was one of the best times of my life. I loved that it was a large 'small' school. I loved that the vast majority of my classes were 30 people or less. I loved the beauty of the campus. I love how Baylor prepared me for my career in teaching. I hope that one or both of my girls will love Baylor like I do.
Some lesser known facts about Baylor:
- Dr. Pepper is part of our history! Since 1953 the university has hosted Dr. Pepper hour every Tuesday from 3 to 4 pm. You can stop by the Student Union to get free Dr. Pepper floats.
- We do Homecoming right! Watch the oldest and largest Homecoming Parade. Catch our Broadway revue style Pigskin Revue (put on almost entirely by students). Enjoy the bonfire and pep rally, not to mention tailgating and the football game.
- We have our own holiday, Diadeloso, every spring. Who wouldn't want a school sanctioned day to goof off and have fun with your friends?
- We are the oldest continuously operated university in the state of Texas. Baylor was chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas.
- Famous Baylor Alumni include: Jeff Dunham (comedian and ventriloquist), Angela Kinsey (actress, The Office), Michael Johnson (4 time Olympic Gold Medalist), the members of The David Crowder Band, and Ann Richards (former governor of Texas)
We're starting Cora off right!
Of course, I did mention that we are a house divided. Baylor is a very traditional university, but so, my friends, is Texas A & M. And, one of their long-standing traditions dates back to when A & M was an all male military college. Those crafty guys would travel up Highway 6 to Baylor to steal the hearts of the Baylor women. And, that's how I ended up married to an Aggie! We met on neutral ground in another part of central Texas and managed to put our Big 12 differences aside to form a family!
(See! I can be somewhat unbiased!)
Texas A&M is a great school. I have a new appreciation for it after hearing John talk about it so fondly. I would love to explain some of the traditions, but I'm fairly certain I would just mess them up. I will say that Texas A & M has one of the best (if not the best) marching bands in the nation. I absolutely love watching them march. A little known fact (correct me if I mess this up, John), the directors attempted to plot the marching routines (?) with a computer program that most universities use. The computer program basically told them that it was impossible to march that way because 2 people would have to be in the same place at the same time! That's how intricate and amazing their band is!
And, because I like to pour salt on NCAA wounds, here is one of my favorite pictures!
Victory! Baylor beats Texas A&M. (I had to include this because it is not often that the Bears get the better of the Aggies.) But, who am I kidding, our girls will experience all of our Baylor/Texas A & M brainwashing, but will probably choose a totally different school than either of those.
Like maybe Angelo State?! (Hi Mema and P-pa!)

10 comments:
Found you via Kelly's Korner.
I am a Baylor grad- class of '05, but my husband is a huge Aggie fan!
Love the Baylor post :)
Loved reading your post! I'm an Aggie grad!!!
Sic 'em Bears from one of the members of the long line of Baylor women in your family.
Melissa, Thank you for your sweet note on my page. Your blog is precious!! Go UT (Tennessee) :-)
Have a blessed weekend,
Kim
Another BU alum - who also has a house divided. :) I married a Horned Frog!
Baylor vs. A&M....I'm going to have to root with you on most sports (excluding women's basketball :)
Is it bad that I secretly hope your girls will be Red Raiders?
This was such a cute post! Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Nice to "meet" you. I'm now following your blog!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I always said that I was meant for a southern school. You can't say Baylor without a drawl!
That picture of Cora is PRICELESS. We already have Baylor and OU onesies - evenly matched, of course. And don't worry - my parents were Aggies and there are tons of pictures of me growing up in A&M stuff, but I still turned out okay and went to Baylor. The girls will know what's right.
Post a Comment