Friday, January 4, 2013

Two Year Well Check

Today was Carys' two year well check.  I learned my lesson to not schedule well checks before Christmas when Cora was 6 months old.  Vaccinations + holiday mayhem = a difficult holiday all around.  And, yet, I was still dreading having the appointment.  I think I may still be a little gun-shy after Cora's memorable 4 year appointment.   Blessedly Cora was invited to some friends' house this morning, leaving me to take Carys by herself.  (Thanks, Rose Marie, Ruth, Erin and Vivi!)  It turns out that Carys was actually current on all her immunizations (sans the flu shot which we do not do).  So, that was an unexpected bonus.  Pretty much everything checked out as normal even her weight.  (Whew!)  She is up to 21.5 lbs and 31 inches, still clinging to the 3rd percentile.  However, her BMI puts her in the 15th percentile.  I'm not sure how that works, but I'm happy that Dr. Mitchell was happy with her weight.  Bebecita did manage to gain 3 lbs since her last well check.

I did have one small concern that I mentioned to Dr. Mitchell.  Sometimes, I'm fairly certain that my background in early childhood education and child development may put unnecessary thoughts in my mind. Nevertheless, I would rather take care of a problem now than wait and have a problem progress.  Anyhow, I have mentioned before in ye olde blog about Carys' speech or sometimes lack thereof.  Though she is a little chatterbox now, her articulation is a bit of a concern for me.  I can probably understand about 80% of what she says, but I am with her all.the.time.  I don't think most others can understand her nearly as well.  My concern is that she's not hearing properly.  I know she can hear.  She responds to her name and to questions.  She can follow complex commands, but  she seems to have some atypical patterns of speech (at least from what I can tell).  For example, she often substitutes several different initial sounds in words with the /d/ sound.  (e.g. 'deemas twee' for Christmas tree; 'Denny' for Penny).  I worry that perhaps there is some sort of issue inside her ears that makes her hear differently.  Dr. Mitchell was not overly concerned, but suggested that we visit a pediatric audiologist simply to make sure that everything is hunky-dory in those sweet little ears.  Most likely everything will check out just fine, but I'll be thankful for the peace of mind.  Then, the best news of all will be that she is in the clear until her next well check.  Praise be to God for our healthy girl!

2 comments:

jk said...

Ya to me, it's a different language. So, I back you up, although I'm fairly certain everything is going to end up fine. Cora was more advanced with speech but still fumbles around with fine motor skills. Carys seems to be just the opposite.

Mema said...

Cute pic. Hope all turns out well from the audiologist.

Related Posts with Thumbnails