Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sewing Binge

I've been binging on crafts lately. . .and Dove chocolate.  My pregnancies are always marked by lack of self control!

Cora has been the beneficiary thus far.  She's getting a little tired of playing sample model for me.  We were at the cutting counter the other day when the sweet lady asked her if she wanted another dress out of the fabric she was cutting.  Cora replied, "No!"  Good thing I bought two yards of two separate fabrics.  There's enough for dresses and pants and skirts and rosettes and bloomers and smocks. . . Did I mention I'm binging?!

It started with the dress on the right.  Then, it progressed the the bloomers and top on the left.
Then, a few days later, I did this little pants number.
I put a little too much elastic in the back of the top, so I want to try this little top again.  It's a super cute pattern.

And, then, because it wasn't enough just to make clothes from existing patterns, I decided to attempt to make my own pattern.  Here's the first attempt:
I think it's a little circus-y, but to class it up, we'll call it 'boutique.'  I think it might make a better top than dress.  I didn't put enough width in the dress, and it's a bit restrictive.  So, when she gets older, we'll try it with a some cute leggings.  I am, however, totally in love with the rosette that Susy showed me how to make.
Here's the second attempt at my own pattern making.  I am in love with this dress.  Yay, me! (If I do say so myself!)
The fabric is a nursery rhyme toile.  I lurve it so, so much!

The third attempt, I'm not even sure that I like.  But, the pink was some of the $2 a yard fabric, and I had the white leftover from some other projects.  Can't beat that!
You see, the problem with cheap fabric is that the pattern isn't always square.  Hence, the wonkiness of the bottom of the dress.  I think this houndstooth will be better for bloomers and things that will disguise the lines of the pattern a little.  

And, finally, I followed this tutorial and made this shirt dress.  I added the ruffles and didn't put the waist band.  I also turned the dress backwards.  I'm super excited for Cora to wear it.  So cute!  I think I'm going to find her some colorful stripe-y leggings or tights to go with it, so she can wear it all through the fall.  
So, that's all for now, but I have three other lovely fabrics just eating a hole in the creative part of my brain.  I'll surely have something new to report soon!

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Wow, they're darling, Melissa!!! Love your fabric choices!

Susy said...

It's official: you have craftingitis. Carys' creativity is developing very nicely I'm sure. I need to fill an order tonight before I continue my projects!

Susy said...

It's official: you have craftingitis. Carys' creativity is developing very nicely I'm sure. I need to fill an order tonight before I continue my projects!

Gauger Family said...

Those are all so adorable! I wish I knew how to do that!!

April said...

So cute!!!!

Mema said...

Wow. YOu really put the pressure on me to make something special for Miss Cora! Very cute!

otherwise known as mom said...

OK, you are the queen of the sewing machine!! Will you come visit me for a few days?? I have about twelve pair of uniform pants for my kids for school that need hemmed. I am dying a slow death as I trudge through the stack doing them.

The clothes you've made are beautiful and will be treasured for years to come.

Just make lots of extras now in case you run out of time later with the new additions to the family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails